Model Repair API
One of the biggest frustrations for 3D printing companies is receiving CAD files that are corrupt or broken. It leaves stuck with very few choices. Either an in-house analyst or designer has to repair the file using frustrating features in CAD software, or they send the model back to the customer to fix. Both solutions are a waste of money and extremely time-consuming.
Luckily, CAD.ai has just developed a CAD Model Repair API that repairs CAD models created by various CAD systems. It also improves model quality for any future destination system or downstream process.
CAD Repair API: Key Features
- Checks STL files for flaws (i.e. unconnected facets, bad normals)
- Repairs facets by connecting nearby facets that are within a given tolerance
- Fills holes in the mesh by adding facets
- Repairs normal directions (i.e. facets should be CCW)
- Repairs normal values (i.e. should be perpendicular to facet with length=1)
- Removes degenerate facets (i.e. facets with two or more vertices equal)
- Very fast – repairs in a matter of seconds! ( Graph example)
- JSON response (with the url of the repaired file to download)
- Easy to use and integrate using our docs page .
How it works
Same as with CAD File Converter API, our CAD model repair API uses two different algorithms to fix unconnected facets. The first algorithm finds an unconnected edge and then checks nearby within a given tolerance for another unconnected edge. It then fixes edges within a given tolerance. Some meshes can be completely fixed using just this method.
If there are still unconnected facets after this first check has been done, then a second algorithm is used. This algorithm just fills any holes in the mesh by adding facets until all of the holes are filled.
Using these two algorithms, almost any imperfect STL file can be fixed 100% so that there are no unconnected facets left and you’re left with a perfect model.